Monday 3 September 2012

A weekend of local living

So this weekend it was time to put my money where my mouth is and start doing more to support local businesses whilst shunning the supermarket baddies. I started with a trip to Sainsbury's (whoops) but I kept my spending down to a minimum and only on the things I would struggle to get elsewhere. Still, I felt like a bit of a sham so I tried to make up for it from there.

On the way home I picked up my first Mollinsburn organic fruit and veg box from the village deli, Pestle & Mortar. It's a brilliant wee shop packed full of interesting things and it felt great to be using it for more than just an emergency supply or special treat. The veg sack was great. Definitely good value, the produce tastes wonderful and it has been fun playing ready steady cook with the contents all weekend.

Next up was back to the home baking to keep us stocked up on goodies. On Friday I russled up an orange and almond cake, a batch of chocolate chip cookies and two loaves of Bertinet rye, caraway and raisin bread using the flour that had arrived in the week from Shipton Mill. I also got some more sourdough on the go, which I baked off on Sunday with mixed success. Both loaves tasted great but one was a flat pancake as I've still not mastered getting them out of the proving baskets.

On Saturday I went to top up the fridge and my tummy from the Loch Lomond Food Festival at Lomond Shores. My bags were full of tasty sausages from the Extraordinary Sausage Company in Kippen, pork pies, juicy olives, salami and beer from the Loch Lomond brewery.

Meanwhile I'd sent my son and husband on a mission to Fantoosh Fish in Milngavie to pick up some lemon sole for our dinner on Sunday. I cooked it in a gram, ginger and garlic batter with spiced home grown potatoes, beetroot raita from the veg bag, and some steamed organic spinach and sat back to sip my bonny n' blonde local beer in a very smug and contented way.

A good start to a new way of doing things.

No comments:

Post a Comment