Thursday 30 August 2012

Scottish ice cream and the last day of summer

It is a little known and ironic fact that Scottish people are really good at making ice cream. Tomorrow is the last day of August and, although I can't actually remember summer happening (apart from in the Spring), this must mean it is the end of it. So here are my favourite places that I would have gone to eat more ice cream this summer if I hadn't been so busy making soup to keep myself warm:

Colpi - Their Italian style ice cream only comes in one scrumptious creamy flavour but the fun is all in the accessorising which obviously appeals to the girly side of me. They have a sprinkle, syrup and waffle cone to match every outfit, but personally I find it hard to resist the single nougats. My nearest one is in Milngavie and is regularly used to bribe my children.

Nardini's - The best reason to go to Largs. The cafe is an art deco tea room and the sundaes are enormous. There's one on Byres Road in Glasgow as well but it definitely tastes better at the seaside.

Janetta's - I worked in the cafe next door to Janetta's during my first couple of years at university in St Andrews. They were always queued out the door, we were not. The cafe closed, I lost my job, and Janetta's took it over, but I forgave them because their ice cream is delicious. I have to go on a pilgrimage at least once a year.

Katy Rodgers Artisan Dairy, Knockraich Farm, Fintry - This place is amazing. You can mix up your own cold stone concoctions in their lovely cafe which means my children always insist on something disgusting like jelly babies in mint choc chip, but the ice cream, frozen yoghurts and sorbets made in this dairy farm and creamery are really delicious. Last time I went I tried the melon and ginger and I have been obsessing about it ever since. I'd also highly recommend their pro-biotic yoghurts.

Special mention this year also goes to The Pokey Hat in Oban which we were introduced to on our 'summer' camping trip and officially has the best name ever for an ice cream shop. Go and try their turkish delight ice cream before you get on the ferry. You won't be disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment