Sunday 26 August 2012

A mission statement and a trip to Durham

This is a blog about my personal mission to build a life for myself and my family that allows me to go to bed at night feeling good about myself.

Over the last 12 months I've come to the realisation that I'm tired of working hard and making sacrifices that damage the things and people that I love, and that I want to get to a place where if I do make those sacrifices they are for something that I am truly passionate about.

What are my passions? Simple really; good food, good people, good places and the good feeling they give you. I cook, I bake, I practice yoga and I want to combine these hobbies, come obsessions, with my skills in marketing, sales and customer service to build a business that enhances my life and the lives of others.

Only problem is, I don't know what that business is yet! I've got lots of ideas, and this blog will chart my journey as I explore them. Starting on the premise, that I know the kind of businesses (and people that run them) that I love and I want to give them the praise and recognition they deserve as I aspire to be more like them.

I'm based in Scotland, in a beautiful village on the outskirts of Glasgow, but I do a lot of travel for my work, and as I sat in yet another Starbucks this week prostituting my ideals once more for the benefits of free wi-fi, I realised that this was not where I wanted to be. Physically and philosophically.

I packed up my laptop and hit the streets of Durham in search of a better way of life.

My first stop was a cafe called Vennels. I hear it's an institution in Durham, but there is no way that I would have walked up the alley to it's tiny courtyard to find it and the delicious home made quiche, pies and cakes that it sells, if I hadn't been with someone that knows better. I also broke free from the shackles of the chain hotel on my trip and stayed in agreat boutique hotel called Gadds Townhouse. The food was delicious, and the themed rooms and opulent, boudoir meets 19th century brothel interior, made an otherwise boring work trip almost fun. The stairwell and corridors were looking a bit shabby, but you know what, that's probably because they don't get enough people staying there because they're all opting for the boring business hell-holes down the road instead. The only thing I didn't like was the muesli, which was over sweet rabbit food. But I have a thing about that, and should have known better. Their sister restaurant Zen, which serves an asian fusion menu was also a tasty alternative to another night at Pizza Express.

I wanted to go to Durham university and they rejected me. I was devastated at the time but I've forgiven them now, and I ended up going down a different path that has allowed me to meet so many lovely people.  It therefore, seems only right and fitting that a crappy coffee in Durham should set me off down a new path in life. Who knows where it will take me this time.

2 comments:

  1. I love this... Go for that dream girl I know you can do it! Love Row another dreamer x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant Hels, the very best of luck and remember always happy to sample the goods and muse over some ideas. X

    ReplyDelete