Monday 10 February 2014

Hels' Bakehouse Annual Review

So this week see's the first birthday of Hels' Bakehouse, and what a year it has been. I've baked over 1200 loaves and made an awful of a lot of granola in my little home oven. I've also made some great friends along the way. The high points include the Hot cross bun pop up shop, baking with the Strathblane Guides, the bread demonstration at Edenmill Food Festival, monthly fun at Killearn country market and spreading the Real Bread message of 'true loaf'' throughout the local community.  There have been lows too; realising I hadn't got enough ingredients at four in the morning (several times), nearly burning the house down when I fell asleep in a bread coma, attempting to bake sourdough in a heatwave...

It's all been great though. I've learnt a lot and I've loved every minute.

So what now?

Well, I'm taking a break from farmers markets for a little while and concentrating on getting more beauty sleep, indulging in my other passion for yoga through my alter ego of MLH Yoga, and passing on my love of baking to others with 'Bread courses from Hels'. The first 'Introduction to Bread Making' course runs on Monday 17th February at Killearn Village Hall, with a Sourdough course scheduled for the 31st March and Italian breads on the 28th April.  The Bread Club continues to be very popular, and I'll be working on some new recipes to keep my bread clubbers hungry for their weekly loaf, whilst bringing back some old favourites from the past year.  As part of my birthday celebrations I asked the bread club members to let me know what these were and promised to make some of them again over the next month. Here's the list so far:

Potato & Rosemary
Apple & cider
Fig & fennel
Chollah
Beer bread
Orange & mint
Sage & Onion
Malted brown
Rye & Raisin
Spelt & honey
Cheese & apple
Poppy seed

Looks like I am going to be busy, and I wouldn't have it any other way! Thanks to everyone for your support over the last year, it has been a pleasure baking for you.

Hels xx





No comments:

Post a Comment