Tuesday 23 October 2012

Good food and good friends

This weekend the BBC Good Food Show came to town and my pre-Christmas healthy eating, less drinking, money saving regime went out the window.

My son and I set off on Friday morning for the shows opening. We were there in time to see the King and Queen of baking, Paul Holywood and Mary Berry, cut the ribbon and then we spent a fun couple of hours tasting treats, pressing apples with the commonwealth orchard team and decorating cupcakes with Truly Scrumptious Designer cakes. Jamie even exchanged a thumbs up with the silver fox himself, whilst Mummy just blushed. I wonder when the restraining order will come through the post?

On Saturday I had a day of scrubbing my kitchen in a bid to start preparations for a visit from the environmental health team so I can get my granola empire off the ground. Then it was time to head over to Edinburgh for a rare night on the town with two of my best pals from university. We spent the evening drinking dodgy cocktails, doing dodgy dancing and discussing plans to escape the stresses of dodgy jobs, DIY and dating. Are there any women out there in their 30s who are entirely happy with their lot? I'm not sure, but I know there is nothing like the support of your friends to keep your feet on the ground and your self belief and ambitions up in the clouds.

After a monster bacon sarnie the next morning, it was back to Glasgow for the child free version of the Good Food Show. It was mobbed but we managed to eat and drink our way round it and try some amazing produce. My bags were stuffed with sausages and beef from Macbeth's butchers, venison from the Seriously Good Venison Company, giant raspberry meringues from Whole Foods, Giffnock and a couple of other treats that have to remain under wraps until Christmas. Marie and Alex, my partners in foodieness for the day, helped me stuff my stomach with bubbly, turkey rolls, cheese and beer and Luvians ice cream, before I rolled home to cook my dinner!

What a dinner it was - tiny tender venison fillet steaks in a red wine, juniper and chocolate sauce with home grown roasted veggies. Delicious.

My diet and bank balance may have been ruined but my spirits had been restored and at the end of the day, I know which is more important.

No comments:

Post a Comment